Thursday, December 16, 2010

Count your blessings…

One of my favorite holiday movies was on the TV today providing the most wonderful background noise as I worked. I really miss the beauty and showmanship of the movies from days gone by. It always seemed to me that everyone in the movie was happy to be there and were really committed to doing their best. Why is it that it never seems like that today?

One of my favorite songs from that movie is “Count your blessings”. This song is one that people today should take a lesson from. When things aren’t going your way, you should remind yourself of all of the good things that are happening in your life. I know that for me, even during my darkest days, there was always something that happened I could hold on to as being a good thing. Sometimes that good thing was nothing more than the way the sun shone through the leaves of a tree. But at least it was something.

I do think that if we spent more time, perhaps on a daily basis, to count our blessings we might be more grateful for the lives we have. I’m blessed with a family that loves me, a puppy that always wants to be in my arms, friends that remember me even from a distance, and a roof over my head. There are more, of course, but those are the ones that stand out the most in my mind right now.

This morning when I stripped and stepped on the scale it took me a moment to look down to see what the display said. I was prepared to be disappointed and even frustrated. Although I am a little disappointed and frustrated with myself over my lack of willpower, I was pleased to see that I was down 0.7 lbs. I know, I know.. not even a full pound but beggars can’t be choosers! It brings my total weight loss to 13.2 lbs and that’s nothing to sneeze at.

I’ve been so busy with my work today that I admit I ate less than I should have for most of the day, but I pried myself away from my desk to eat a full dinner…preparing for sitting at my desk the rest of the night to complete the work I have promised by tomorrow. I did get all of my water, though, and that does seem to be important in my weight loss.

As long as I keep moving forward things can never be too bad.

Pounds lost: 13.2 (375.8)
Daily insight: “When you’re worried and you can’t sleep.. just count your blessings instead of sheep.. and you’ll fall asleep counting your blessings”
Ounces of water consumed: 80
Steps in the right direction: 47

No comments:

Post a Comment